Sunday, July 22, 2012

School Bag Search

Even though it's still only July, I have been on a search for the perfect school bag. I have debated between the different styles: tote, messenger bag, and backpack.

In 7th and 8th grade I used this Vera Bradley Frill messenger bag in Hello Dahlia:

I was really obsessed with it at the beginning of 7th grade, but I soon found that it was really small, was really heavy on my shoulder, and by 8th grade I had outgrown my Vera Bradley obsession phase anyway.

So I was pretty sure I was steering clear of VB when buying a new school bag for high school. Then, while looking at backpacks, I stumbled upon the Metropolitan:



And I really, really love the style of the bag!!! It's on sale right now online, it has the size of a backpack, and you can carry it like a tote OR messenger. Ok, it looks slightly like a briefcase/overnight bag thing....but I think it it is really unique and perfect for what I carry around at school. My only problem with it is that it's Vera Bradley. I feel like whenever I carry around a Vera Bradley bag in one of their obvious patterns, it just SCREAMS "look!!!!! I have a Vera Bradley bag!!!!!!" Know what I mean? Plus, I wanted something really simple for school- that's durable, pretty plain, and will match all my outfits. But I really like the bag!! 

So today I have some questions for you to leave in the comments:
1. What do you think of the bag? Do you think it's good for starting high school or is it weird and everyone else will have a backpack?
2. Do you think having a tote or backpack is better for school?
3. Do you know of a place that sells a bag similar to the Metropolitan in non-prints? 
4. If I got this bag, what pattern should I get? (I was thinking either of the patterns you see in the pictures or in Blue Lagoon.)

Thanks so much for your input- I would really like to have a backpack/bag I love this year!





7 comments:

  1. ok, sig i'm gonna be totally honest here. i think its a super cute bag, but i am 95% sure you are going to be sick of it come sophomore year and after. i knew a girl who had it two years ago (when i was in 7th and she was in 8th) and she had it in the black and white pattern. it was really cute! but, i always saw her struggling to carry it...... i think you should just get a regular backpack, and a super plain one that you won't get sick of. that's what i'm doing! i'll do a post on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was thinking. I really want to get a plain backpack, but I don't know where to find a cute one!!! Where are you getting yours from?

      Delete
    2. Its up! And there is a plain-ish black one in the post

      Delete
  2. I'm actually writing a post about this now hahaha cuz I got a new backpack today! It'll probably be up in 30-40 minutes or so.. But overall, I say no to this bag. Your going to HATE it next year I can almost guarantee (unless of course you get a new one every year)and it really does look a bit more like an overnight bag... Just check my post in a little bit to see if there is something you like... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I will definitely check your blog. I really do ALWAYS end up hating my backpacks, which is why I want to get something really plain. Glad to know it looks more like an overnight bag than a backpack...don't want people to think I'm camping out at school haha :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. 1. i think this back is super cute, but i don't think it's very practical for school! it looks like you might have to jam your binders in a weird way for them to fit!
    2. i think having a backpack is better for high school, because your back can start to hurt from the BOATLOAD of homework!
    i'm using the "deluxe book pack" from ll.bean, and i absolutely love it!! it doesn't hurt my back, it comes in tons of different patterns and colors, and you can get a monogram on it if you want!! also, there is some type of warranty on it!

    ReplyDelete