Friday, October 19, 2012

Taylor Swift:: RED

This album is supposed to come out Monday. But some store in Ireland sold it early and now it's all over tumblr. I felt bad for Taylor that it leaked, but was too excited and had to listen anyway!!!


Overall I really love the whole thing. I feel like it's the perfect blend of musical genres and songwriting styles to satisfy all her fans. I think it is her most well-written album because it is so diverse and combines elements from her other 3 albums. It also has a duet with Ed Sheeran and a duet with Snow Patrol! 

You can hear all the songs on my tumblr.

This is the tracklist:

1. State Of Grace
2. Red
3. Treacherous
4. I Knew You Were Trouble
5. All Too Well
6. 22
7. I Almost Do
8. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
9. Stay Stay Stay
10. The Last Time
11. Holy Ground
12. Sad Beautiful Tragic
13. The Lucky One
14. Everything Has Changed
15. Starlight
16. Begin Again

Now for my commentary...

1. State Of Grace- I immediately loved this song when it was released as a single because of all the reverb and guitar in it. It is more instrumental than Taylor's usual songs, which I really like. Rolling Stone described this as a "U2-style epic", and I'd have to agree. Taylor wrote this one by herself. 
2. Red- Overall this really sums up the album. Taylor decided to use this song as the album name because all the emotions you go through in love are "definitely not beige....they are red." This song is really catchy and has great imagery and lyrics. Like State of Grace, Taylor wrote it by herself. 
3. Treacherous- I think I'd like this song more if she built up the chorus as much as I was expecting she would. I thought this song would be really dark and about a breakup, but it's not- it's a slower yet positive song. It is definitely not my favorite on the album though. Maybe it will grow on me. 
4. I Knew You Were Trouble- This is the song with the dubstep in it that Rolling Stone told everyone about! I think it's ok. Along with treacherous, it's one of my lesser favorites. Although it's catchy and I know it's going to be a big hit. Like WANEGBT, it's a Max Martin collaboration. 
5. All Too Well- This song is probably my favorite on the whole album. Taylor co-wrote it with Liz Rose, which I was ecstatic about hearing! (Liz helped Taylor write You Belong With Me, Picture To Burn, Tim Mcgraw, Teardrops On My Guitar...) Since Taylor wrote her last album, Speak Now, completely by herself, I was so happy to hear Liz was coming back. I love this instruments in this song and the chorus.
6. 22- I find this song pretty funny. I thought it was going to be all reflective about her life and stuff, but it's about partying...she says, "I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 22!" There are also lines like "tonight seems like a perfect night to dress up like hipsters" and "we're gonna ignore all the cool kids" (while she says in the backround: "Who is Taylor Swift anyway? Like, ew."  If you liked WANEGBT, you will like this song. 
7. I Almost Do- This is a super sad song that almost everyone will be able to relate to in some way. It is one of those songs that will apply to everyone's life and make people say, "Taylor Swift describes my life." 
8. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together- Umm this is self-explanatory since everyone has already heard this song...haha. Go look at this post if you want to know what I think of it. 
9. Stay Stay Stay- At first I thought this was a really lame song name, but I really like the song! It's one of those cute, upbeat, easy-to-listen-to songs. This will definitely be a favorite!
10. The Last Time- This is the Snow Patrol collaboration and, I must say, I REALLY like it. Maybe more than the Ed Sheeran one! It's kind of slow at first, but the chorus is REALLY good. 
11. Holy Ground- I think I'm going to have to listen to this song again to get a bigger perspective of it, but so far I like it. It's about looking back on landmarks or places that were important to a relationship after it's over and thinking, "that was holy ground."
12. Sad Beautiful Tragic- This is a very sad and slow song. (Think Last Kiss from Speak Now.) Taylor sings it in a very hushed voice as she describes her "sad, beautiful, tragic love affair/sad, beautiful, magic love affair". 
13. The Lucky One- This song may be the most interesting off the album. It's about another famous person that Taylor observed before she was famous and how they felt lucky at first, but then not so lucky anymore. I can't help but wonder who it is. Taylor sounds like a bit Katy Perry in this song!
14. Everything Has Changed- This is the much anticipated duet with Ed Sheeran. It pretty much lives up to what everyone was hoping and is definitely going to be a hit! It's catchy, acoustic sounding, and their voices sound great together. 
15. Starlight- I was VERY surprised by this song. I was assuming it was going to be a slow lullaby (I have no clue why) but it's actually quite upbeat. It has a great beat and sounds like it would be good to dance to. 
16. Begin Again- I like how this song is last, because it's kind of like a clue to begin the album again! I think I mentioned something about it when it first came out as a single that I absolutely love this song. It's pretty country and sounds like her older music, which is why I like it so much. 

Well that was long but only took me about 15 minutes to type. Although the album leaked, definitely still go buy it Monday! I will be at Walgreens!



I thought I'd add some fun pictures of Taylor I've been loving lately....






"Maybe we got lost in translation, maybe I asked for too much...maybe this thing was a masterpiece before you tore it all up. You called me up again just to break me like a promise, so casually cruel in the name of being honest. Running scared, I was there, I remember it all too well. Time won't fly, it's like I'm paralyzed by it. I'd like to be my old self again but I'm still trying to find it."




No comments:

Post a Comment