Saturday, December 29, 2012

Les Miserables review

Hi guys!

I recently saw Les Mis (twice, actually) and I thought it would be the perfect movie to review.


Here's the shorter trailer that came out a while ago, which is in my opinion way more moving than the more recent one and like the best trailer ever. 



However, the newer one gives you a better sense of the story for those of you who don't know it. 

First, let me give a bit of background information. If you are planning on seeing it, READ THIS! Les Miserables is a musical based off a book written by Victor Hugo in 1862. The story takes place in France during the French Revolution. The movie starts off in 1815, where Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman) is released on parole by prison guard Javert (Russell Crowe) after a 19 year sentence for stealing a loaf of bread. After stealing silver from a priest who tried to him and let him keep the silver, he breaks his parole and tries to turn his life around. But since he broke his parole, Javert is on the hunt for him the rest of the movie. The second part takes place in 1823, where Fantine (Anne Hathaway) tries to earn money in any way that she can to send to pay an innkeeper and his wife (Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter) for watching her child, Cosette. She doesn't know that conditions are actually very bad and their own daughter Eponine gets all the attention. After she dies of tubercluosis, Jean Valjean goes to save Cosette. The third part takes place in 1832, where Cosette (Amanda Seyfried) and Eponine (Samantha Barks) are grown up. Eponine has been in love with Marius (Eddie Redmayne) for years but he falls in love with Cosette after catching a glance of her. The third part is where the battle takes place. 

Overall I really loved the movie! I have never seen it in an actual live musical form and although I knew the story I didn't know what to expect. Now I can't imagine that to all be done on just a stage. I thought the movie could capture so many more details like facial expressions and emotions that you just can't capture in a theater. Although they sang basically the entire 157 minutes of the movie, the setting and everything just made it so much more realistic. Although I didn't sob like my mom said she did, I still thought it was a beautiful storyline that is still relevant today. I thought the cast was great, and since people are really opinionated about it I would do a review of each person.

Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean: I thought his delivery/acting was great and he played the part really well. The only thing I didn't like was his voice....you could tell he wasn't the strongest singer ever and he sometimes just sounded weird on the high notes.

Russell Crowe as Javert: This was the only person I didn't really like much in the movie. He didn't show any dynamic change at all throughout the story and pretty much had the same facial expression the entire time. His voice was ok, but he didn't do Javert's songs justice.

Anne Hathaway as Fantine: One of my favorite people in this. In my opinion she did the best job playing her character than anybody else. She can sing quite well, too. I am expecting her to get an Oscar or Academy Award for this! 

Isabelle Allen as young Cosette: For her age I think she did a great job. She was adorable, had a cute voice and actually kind of looked like Amanda Seyfried. 

Sacha Baron Cohen/Helena Bonham Carter as Thenardier and Madame Thenardier: I think everybody in the audience really loved them and they provided some great comic relief. Both were funny and really complemented each other. 

Amanda Seyfried as Cosette: Amanda was definitely good and fit this role quite well. She wasn't especially moving or anything, but that's not really her fault. Although the whole story revolves around Cosette she doesn't do too much. 

Samantha Barks as Eponine: I actually really loved her. I thought she had a great voice and was just amazing in general. I wish she got more recognition for this but she didn't since she's a Broadway star and not Hollywood. Taylor Swift almost got this role, but I'm glad she didn't since I really did love Samantha. I watched an interview of her and she seems super nice and funny. 

Eddie Redmayne as Marius: I had never heard of this guy until this movie so I don't have anything to compare his performance to, but I thought he was pretty good and probably had the best male voice in the whole thing. This sounds weird but I liked his facial expressions. 

Well that was kind of long but I had a lot to say. By the way, my favorite songs were On My Own and One Day More. I recommend this to everyone- you HAVE to see it because it's a musical masterpiece.

Have you seen Les Mis? What did you think of the cast, movie, and what were your favorite songs?



No comments:

Post a Comment